Sunday, November 22, 2009

Christmas Advent Calendar: How To

So, I'm very excited to reveal my most recent project. I made a Christmas advent calendar for my girls that we will be able to use for years to come. It was a lot of fun to do, in spite of the difficulty in finding some of my supplies. But once I got it all together it turned out exactly how I pictured it.
I used paper mache boxes, scrapbook paper, mod podge for the containers for the treats and gifts. I got most of the boxes at Walmart for $.67, and a few more at Hobby Lobby for $.99. The papers were from a coordinating collection at Heartland Paper Co.

If your doing 24 days you'll need a rather large frame. I got this at Ben Franklin for a steal because they are closing the Roy store. I just painted the boxes and frame a cream color. I got the piece of sheet metal at a local metal supplier (spent way more on that than intended). I was going to paint it with chalk board paint, but once I got it all together I decided to leave it as is.
Make sure you keep the boxes and their lids together. It was like putting together a really frustrating puzzle. The lids fit best on the box they came with.
I found some "Dates to remember" stickers at Hobby Lobby, but if you have decent handwriting unlike myself, you could just write the numbers. I also embellished them with some of the papers, ribbon, and some stickers I found at Joann's.
This is what it looks like hanging in my kitchen (sorry it's so dark, the lighting in my house is not great for photography). I had to hang it somewhat high because I have two very curious little girls. They are so excited for December to start.
I'm going to be putting little treats and gifts in the boxes. So far I've gotten them reindeer bracelets, chocolate Santa's, Christmas socks, and jingle bell necklaces. I am having too much fun filling the boxes.
I found this idea through Summer at summertimedesigns during her Christmas in July feature this last July. I had saved the link in my favorites just waiting for things to settle down just enough for me to do it. You could really do this in a weekend, but with my work schedule it has taken me about two weeks. Click here to check out Carrie at Buzzings of a Queen Bee for her version.

1 comment:

Bree said...

oh man, that looks FANTASTIC!

Related Posts with Thumbnails