Sunday, March 7, 2010

New Motivation

Today we started a new motivation for Punkin to be a little more focused. She gets so bored with the day to day and needs some direction. We had a rough start one morning a couple of weeks ago and after a long chat with my mom she helped me come to a hopefully effective solution. Punkin is not a morning person. She will kick, scream, yell, and fight me just to get out the door. I realize it's near child abuse to wake a 4 year old up at 6:00 am every morning but, that's the way life has to be in our house. Anyway, my mom and a good friend of mine gave me a couple of great ideas that I can use together. My mom sent me a link to a website called FatBrainToys.com. It was a responsibility chart made by Melissa and Doug. It was fairly inexpensive and looked like a great solution to our problem. I ordered it as soon as I saw it. Next, my friend Bonnie told me about Daddy Dollars. I googled it and found several blogs that talked about it. First you go here and upload a photo of your husband/yourself. You can choose from several denominations and lots of currencies from several other countries. We will be doing US $1, $2, $5, and $10. For every goal that Punkin accomplishes she'll get $1, if she does something everyday in the whole week she'll get a bonus $5. Here's the kicker, once she earns enough money she'll get to spend the money at the Mommy Mall (market, mart, what have you). We'll be using the money for everything from going to the park, computer time, one on one time with us, and even sleep overs. They will also be priced appropriately. I may even hit up the dollar store and get her some actual things to buy. We are really hoping that this will give her motivation and purpose. I've decided that I may not be so great at this parenting thing and I really need to focus more on my job as a mom. In light of the economic "crisis", I focused so much on my job this last year that my job as a mother was put on the back burner. And don't think I've forgotten about our (mine and D's) issues as well this last year, that certainly didn't help matters either. I'm really hoping that this year will be better for all of us. And I'm very excited to start working with Punkin and making her responsible for her bad behavior as well as the good. As a matter of fact, tonight we went over the chart one by one, and as I asked her if she accomplished each thing she seemed to understand and didn't get too upset that she didn't do it all. I'm hoping she'll see the benefit of the reward system at the end of the week as well. I'll keep you posted as to if it's working, but in the meantime, wish us luck.

1 comment:

Bree said...

GOOD LUCK! :) It's so hard to change everyone's operation. :/

P.S. you used Punkin's real name in there ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails