Monday, November 15, 2010

Day Eleven - Gratitude Challenge

Try to see the world through the eyes of a child. Think about the things you take for granted on a daily basis,and then express gratitude for everything down to the basic necessities that sustain your current life.
 
When I read this challenge tonight the first thing I thought of was something my husband told me when I got home. He said that Punkin had told him on the way home from daycare that she missed Mojo and it just isn't the same without her. Heartbreaking, I know. The funny thing is, is that Mojo was not the cat they played with the most because she was confined to a kennel most of the time. But I noticed this whole weekend how empty our family room feels without her there. She used to jump from each level and every time she did the kennel would make a noise, when you walked into the room she would "talk" to you. The kids loved to just sit next to the kennel and "be". So, I quickly realized how much we take for granted the presence of our loved ones whether it is an animal or human.
In addition to this I also have come to realize how much I miss my Grandma. I realize she is still here with us and for that I'm eternally grateful, but she's not "here". I used to be able to sit and talk with her and learn so much. I still sit and talk with her and I still get a lot from our conversations, but it's always a struggle just to figure out what she's saying and it's not her usual words of wisdom. I can't say that I took it for granted because I cherished every moment with my Grandma, but I'm sure a lot more grateful for the times we had together.
I think it's easy for us to forget that the simplest conversations can have such a huge impact on our lives. If you think about it, just saying hello to the check out girl at the store and making small talk can turn her whole day around. I know things like that happen to me all the time. You never know what a person is dealing with in their own lives and how a conversation can make such a difference.  To me conversations and presence are a basic necessity. So for me, today, I am grateful for that.

1 comment:

Mindy and Garry said...

I've enjoyed reading your gratitude challenge! It definitely helps put things in perspective!

Related Posts with Thumbnails