
This is not going to be one of my posts about my beautiful girls or what fun we had over the weekend. So if you came to read about sugar and spice and everything nice you'll be greatly disappointed. I'm in the mood to vent about the social pressures that I and as well other mothers may feel. Is it wrong that I don't want to pop out ten more kids just for the coveted boy. Is it wrong for me to want to give my girls opportunities that they might not otherwise receive if they had to compete with a dozen more siblings. Don't get me wrong, to each her own, but we will never be rich, we are blue collar workers. My husband will never work enough or make enough for me to be apart of the high society of stay at home moms. Not that I want to. I'm not cut from that mold, I'm a worker, I find great satisfaction in getting myself up and ready along with my kids and be to my job by 7:30 every morning. I work by a schedule, I live by routine, my kids don't know any different, and if you notice I'm not dumping them on any available babysitter on the weekends to go indulge in whatever activities they can't be apart of. My weekends are dedicated to doing what some women have a whole week to do. My mother always told me, as she was a full time working mother as well, it's the quality of the time not the quantity. I am fortunate to have a job that I only work 4 days a week to give me that one extra day to spend with my family. I may not be home all day long throughout the week but you know, I still have a house and laundry and bills and responsibilities that need to be taken care of. Dinner is always ready and more often than not home cooked by six or earlier (if my husband has enough for thought to help). I'm just tired of a select few SAHM's looking down on me because I can't or don't stay home with my children. They must assume that my children are less cared for. On the contrary, I have a wonderful, no fantastic babysitter who takes care of a slew of "unfortunate" children who's mothers also have to work and you know, I know for a fact my children are better for it. Punkin in particular, and I won't brag, knows more than most 4 year olds. She's polite, smart, well socialized and yes nearly three and by no means an angel. But I know as a SAHM, the things that she is taught in her daycare are far beyond what I would even think of. We love our daycare provider, and even though she is at home, she is also a full time working mom with two kids of her own.
So back to the aforementioned having more children to "give" my husband a boy, that's completely out of the question. I most days feel completely blessed to have such wonderful children, but on some occasions, I want to shoot myself. If my husband wants a boy, and he is by no means pressuring nor wants more children, he'll have to divorce me and find himself another baby mama. The only thing that I struggle with that I wish was different is how to split my time between my children and my marriage. I constantly have to battle with myself on should I be a good wife or mother today. It's usually the latter. But if I was to be honest, my husband is probably a little more on the needy side than helpful. I love my husband, but let's face it, he's not cut from that perfect mold either. Maybe I'm not cut from a mold, maybe I was just thrown into a blob and am slowly forming myself into a shape that will never be duplicated.
And just so that I clear this up as not to offend, I do not look down nor disrespect my fellow mothers that get to stay home. You do have a hard job, but please don't complain to me how hard it is. I respect you for your choice and would hope you could respect me for mine. After all, aren't our goals all the same, to raise happy well adjusted families no matter what?


3 comments:
I know for a fact that your daycare provider loves your girls as much as her own. Your frustrations are not only yours but many, many women. What else can I say? I have to go to church and tell all of the SAHM's what I do, and they all pitty me too, but do you know what? I think I am a happier person. I wouldn't do it any other way. When I start to whine to my husband about it. He always tells me that I wouln't be happy if I stayed at home, and neither would he. Even though I have a job at home, I work outside of my home. (you know what I mean) I don't get the luxury of doing the dishes whenever I want, or even going to the bathroom whenever I want. But I have so much satisfaction in my job, and my kids see that. Sorry, is this about me? I went on a rampage. You started it.... Love ya!
Maybe I'm not qualified since I'm a dad, but you've hit a nerve on this one, and I want to add my two cents worth.
I think it's unfortunate that the tables seem to have turned. Maybe it's just because you live in Utah, but in the rest of the world, working mom's are considered liberated and SAHMs are ridiculed for being old fashioned and exploited.
Both my parents worked while I grew up, and I turned out fine, but I can see why having a stay-at-home parent can be great. At a minimum, I think it's crucial for at least one parent to be home when the kids get home from school just to keep them out of trouble.
There is quantity of time and attention afforded the child and stay-at-home parent, but I think you are right that quality of time is most important. A good home and successful child rearing can be achieved in a variety of situations.
I have tried very hard to make it possible for my wife to stay home with my son because that's what we both want.
It isn't easy. Paying the bills and keeping food on the table is sometimes more a miracle than anything else. Thankfully, we have a decent car and a modest but comfortable old home, and we're not living in poverty.
We're facing the strong likelihood that my wife will have to go back to work sooner than we'd like because the cost of living is so high right now. I begrudge the fact that my wife continuing to be a SAHM may no longer be our choice to make. According to this week's Labor Department statistics, the US consumer price inflation hit a 17-year high last month. The cost of nearly everything has gone up an average of 5.6% in the last 12 months. My income certainly hasn't kept up with that! We're really feeling the pinch, but it isn't the end of the world. I think we can have a happy family either way.
The bottom line is that a parent's choice should be respected. If anything, I envy those that have a choice. Whether you work or not. Whether you have no kids or fifteen. That is a decision between husband and wife, and should be respected not pitied.
When a single parent is forced to raise their child(ren) alone, is it right for two parent families to look down on that single parent? Of course not. I think it's totally inappropriate for anyone on either side of the fence to be judgmental.
We're all trying to do the best that we can. There's no Gold medal at the end of this race. The best we can all hope to do is bring our kids up in an environment where they share our values, contribute to their community, and have a chance at a healthy, happy life in this world. Parenting isn't easy, but any sacrifice we have to make as parents is certainly justified.
I'm sure you're a great mother and homemaker, as is my wife. I hope you don't ever let anyone make you feel differently.
Post a Comment