Every Halloween I get the coveted job of cleaning the pumpkins. It all started about eight years ago when we carved our first pumpkins. Dallas looked at me like I was crazy when I stuck my hands into that glorious mess. I guess that I should share that he was raised JW (Jehovah's Witness) so a lot of these holiday traditions were beyond him in the beginning of our relationship. I on the other hand am all about the traditions, family time, and fun that comes along with the Holidays. So therefore, he hates the whole nastiness that is cleaning out a pumpkin. Don't get me wrong, he takes great pride in carving them though. Anyway, when I was growing up I didn't know that you could actually do something with the seeds within the guts. I found a recipe for roasted pumpkin seeds in a cookbook we received as a wedding present and thought, yummm. So began another tradition. So today was the day that I laboriously scraped, scooped, and plopped. This year we had four pumpkins with the addition of Peanut to the family so we had more seeds to work with. So for those of you who may not know how to make them I'll share the recipe.

First you clean out the pumpkin, that may go without saying, but you know, there are those people.

Try to keep as much of the guts out of the seeds as much as possible.
Boil the seeds in salt water for ten minutes. The yellow you see is foam from a little bit of season all and some of the guts.
Drain well.
I lay them out on a paper towel for about 20 minutes, they will be a bit sticky.

Mix for every two cups of seeds, 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp. salt, 3 TB. of melted butter. I had just over 6 cups of seeds. I like a lot more flavor on my pumpkin seeds so I add a dash of cayenne pepper, more salt and a little bit of season all. It's really more to do with what you like. It's all very forgiving.
Spread as evenly and as thinly as possibly on a cookie sheet and put in the oven at 250 degrees for 3-4 hours. Yes it does take a long time, but it's so worth it.
2 comments:
Thank you for the recipe hon! I tried one last year from allrecipes.com and something in their cooking of them was off. They burnt like a crisp! :{ I'll definatly do your recipe this year as we have a couple of huge pumpkins waiting for carving! :}
Last year I tried to "roast" pumpkin seeds, I got them, placed them on a cookie sheet, shook some salt over them, put them in the oven on some high temp and roasted them...YUCK!!!
Post a Comment