Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day.......How bout' a Cruise?

So let me start this post with a big fat Happy Mother's Day!!! I know so many great mom's out there and this is definitely a day that should not be overlooked.  I was lucky enough to go on a cruise last month for free because of my wonderful job. But I think the best part was I was able to take my mom. So many (mainly our family members) were a little wary that we would both make it back alive. They had seen the many blow ups of my teenage years and lets face it, two grown woman - one bathroom. Nuff' said! Funny how my mom and I didn't have any worries at all. I think the only thing my mom worried about was losing her luggage.
So, about the cruise. We left Saturday, April 17th to fly to Miami. My mom had a few hang ups in security. She hadn't flown since 1999 so it was an experience, for both of us. Our flight was mostly uneventful. We had an idiot for a pilot who I'm pretty sure was trying to do barrel rolls on the decent. Needless to say, my dose of Dramamine didn't stand a chance. No I didn't puke, but I had the bag at the ready and many of my coworkers watching in fear. We stayed in Miami one night and set sail on Royal Caribbeans Liberty of the Seas on Sunday.










We had four ports of call, the first being Costa Maya, Mexico. We didn't schedule any excursions in Costa Maya because we were ready to shop. Mexico is a mecca of sterling silver jewelry on the cheap. My most favorite find was a ring that a local Mexican guy made for me with my girls name on it. He busted this thing out in like ten minutes while he was talking to us. It was my most favorite purchase. I also found a really neat leaf pendant because I do love leaves.
Our next port was Belize. I have heard people so many times say how beautiful Belize is. Yes, it is beautiful, but very poor. Although, as poor as this country is, the people were very kind and happy. We had decided to take a tour of Belize City and Altun Ha. The main city was fairly nice, but on our way to Altun Ha to see some Mayan Ruins we saw many poor living conditions. I dare say our shed was as big and nicer than some of the homes I saw. They had a lot of schools and every one of the children we saw were in uniform. Our tour guide, Wilford, was from the village that we drove through to get to Altun Ha. He pointed out his house as well as many of his family members and he was very proud of his home. I almost shuddered at the thought of what he would've thought of our homes here in the states. He also clearly stated that they just received electricity and water in there village 5 years ago. *Gasp* I know. Gas was $10 a gallon ($5 US), and minimum wage was $3.00 and hour ($1.50 US). I felt so spoiled and so blessed to have the life that I have. Anyway, we got to the ruins which were amazing. I'm always amazed at the ingenuity of the people before us. I will share all the photos below, incase you were wondering.
Our next stop was Cozumel, Mexico. Again, we didn't plan an excursion, we shopped. If you've never been to the Caribbean and shopped the many little stores, you need too before you die. My mom and I picked up a lot of our souvenirs in Cozumel. I bought the girls some cute little dresses, a rain stick for Peanut, real vanilla, a pair of earings, a palm tree pendant, and several other things. It was a short port, meaning, not a lot of time to do much. We did eat some delicous nachos with salsa and guacamole at Senior Frogs, mmmmm.
Our last port was Grand Cayman. We chose to go on a glass bottom boat at this port. It was interesting, they took us over a ship wreck, and a couple reef systems. It was only about an hour long tour. Afterwards we went shopping, again. We found a really cool store full of semi-precious gemstones and doo-dads called 20nty. Everything was $20. My mom bought my dad a beautiful globe made of several different gemstones. I bought a gorgous beaded necklace with probably ten different gemstones in it. We picked up a few more items for friends and family and headed back to the boat.
We had two days on the ship that were completely at sea. The ship has so many things to do you could never get board. Let me list them-Flow Rider, rock climbing, basketball, arcade, 3 pools, theater, several restaraunts, shopping, spa, gym, etc. Most every night they had a show of som sort. We saw three production shows, an Ice Show, and a concert featuring Mosaic. You might remember them from Americas Got Talent a few years back. One night we watched the Love and Marriage show, featuring a couple from our Tooele office. I laughed so hard I was in tears. I can't say we did a lot of relaxing by the pool. One day we did a jewelry making class. On our last sea day we did lay out for a bit to prove we actually went on this trip.
Our room made me think of the trailer my parents had when I was a teenager. It was about the same size, bathroom was small and we did really well considering. They had a mirror in the main room so we could both get ready at the same time. We did share the bed, only because neither of us really move that much and it seemed like such a hassle to have them come separate them. I can honestly say that my mom and I have never spent so much time together in our lives. And I honestly feel closer than ever to her. I will never forget this trip or the time spent with her. I just hope we can do it again sometime.

1 comment:

Bree said...

Those are some awesome pictures girl! Amazing that you got to go for FREE b/c of work! And I am jealous of your ring....that's awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails