Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Garden In Bloom: Week Twelve

IT BLOOMED!!! Yes people, the moment you've all be waiting for. The hibiscus bloomed. I have a few more coming out tomorrow morning. The blooms only last about a day, but I get about ten new ones everyday once it starts. They are the best, first thing in the morning, by the afternoon the heat has gotten to them and wilted them a bit. You'll notice that in the pictures. This first bloom isn't as big as what they have been before, I hope my rampant weed ground cover hasn't gotten to them too much. I have posted a picture also of the weed that is choking out my petunias and such, if anyone knows what the heck it is and what I can do to prevent it next year please let me know. We have seen it every year and it gets worse every year. Sadly, this will probably be the last Garden in Bloom post, because really, once you see this thing, you'll probably not care after that. I will post a pic when it's covered in the dinner plate sized blooms. Thanks for reading.


1 comment:

Brooke Moore said...

Elgin thinks it is common purselane, or Portulaca oleracea L.
To kill it you have to paint Round-up on the leaves, and let the flower bed dry out a little.

Related Posts with Thumbnails